Wednesday 18 February 2015

DEMONCON 9 REPORT.

























Above Bottom Right: I'm serving a couple of customers (Adele & Ross) among the crowds of happy people enjoying them selves at Demoncon 9.

February 15th 2015.
6.00am: Awoken by my alarm I head down to the kitchen and cook myself a full English.
6.40am: Hit the bathroom for a shower.
7.10am: I make my sandwiches, pack my drinks and snacks for the day.
7.30am: Jump in the car which has been pre-packed with my comic stock the night before.
8.25am: I arrive at the carpark in Maidstone which is free on Sundays.
8.35am: I've finish loading all my stock & banners on to my trolly and set off towards the high street.
8.45am: I'm at the gates to the Royal Star Arcade which is hosting Demoncon 9.
8.46am: Greeted by Graham Beadle owner of the Grinning Demon comic shop and convention host.
8.50am: Shown to my table which is in a great position with natural light and loads of space.
9.30am: I finish setting up my table and decide to make myself a cuppa and start sketching.
10.00am-ish: Sammy from Hatdayfilms asks me to say a few words for the movie she is making.
10.30am: A few people are now walking around. John (Burdis) pops over to say hello.
11.00am: The convention is now open to the public and soon the arcade is full, I carry on sketching.
12.00am: I've met some really nice people and sold a few of my comics.
12.30am: A few people have asked me for sketches, I happily oblige.
1.00am: Things have been really busy, but I manage to get a few moments to have a sandwich.
1.30am: I make a few more sales and watch the excellent cos-players interacting with the crowds.



















Above: The UK Judges were out in force.

2.30pm: A few more sales and lots of sketching...really enjoying myself.
3.30pm: Lots of sketching and chatting to people, everyone is really friendly.
4.00pm-ish: Graham starts giving out the raffle prizes and I make another sale.
4.30am: Traders are begining to pack up now. I decide to carry on sketching.
4.45pm: Feeling tired now, John Burdis pops over and invites me to sit down for a drink with Clint Langley and another gentleman whoes name I now forget (sorry).  So I pack up my stall.
5.35pm: Afer a quick drink and a chat I say goodbye and head back to the car.
5.45pm: Car packed  I head home.
6.45pm: I arrive home and unpack the car.
7.30pm: I have something to eat and a nice cuppa!

Summary:
The venue has a really 'great vibe' all bathed in natural light which is good for us artists. The other stall holders, cos-players and people visiting all seemed to tap into this 'positive vibe' which really made attending the convention well worth while. From a stall holders point of view the free car parking, reasonable table price and crowds of people really made this convention something that I will hope to attend again soon.

Thanks to Graham Beadle and all the people helping him for making this event such a great experience.

Links:
Demoncon 9 face book page.
Official Demoncon 9 Video.
DemonCon 9 VIP Night Hightlights Q & A with Dan Abnett and Kurtis Wiebe 

ECBT2000ad Podcast Ep 198: John and Flint talk about 2000AD & Demoncon 9. Even I get a mention approx 10 minutes in from the start. http://ecbt2000ad.libsyn.com/ecbt2000ad-ep-198





No comments:

Post a Comment