Thursday 24 December 2015

JUDGE DREDD in BAD CROP.

Script, Art & Lettering: David Broughton. Artwork Started: 08/06/15 Finished on: 15/09/15 Published online on: 01/12/15 Judge Dredd Bad Crop is not for profit fan fiction.
Judge Dredd created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra Copyright Rebellion.
ABC Warriors created by Pat Mills, Kevin O'Neill, Mike McMahon and Brendan McCarthy Copyright Rebellion.


















































Introduction: While trading at the Lawgiver 2 convention held in Bristol I was lucky enough to meet 2000AD forum members who told me that they had enjoyed my previous advent comic strips. I decided to draw another 25 page Judge Dredd story. After a week or so I came up with the idea for Bad Crop and began to write the story. As usual I write a page synopsis first. Then begin to flesh out the story. After that I start drawing up the rough page layouts.


The complete story can be downloaded for Free here: Bad Crop PDF.
Hosted by Future Quake publishers of the 2000AD Fanzines Zarjaz and Dogbreath.

























Above: Thumbnail roughs for pages one to six.


























Above: Rough page layouts for pages one and two.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page two.

Above: Rough page layouts for pages three and four. As I develop the script I decide to make changes to  page three, panels two to four as seen in the page layout above. I decide to hide the robot hand from the reader so that I can build suspense.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page three.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page four.


























Above: Rough page layouts for pages five and six.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page five.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page six.

























Above: Rough page layouts for pages seven and eight.  I was originally going to draw Hell Trekker trucks as the vehicles used by the farmers. I decide instead to use the Landraider 2000 first seen in the original Cursed Earth story. Then I decide to design the Mk 1 Landraider loosely based on the US troop carrier the Stryker. My thinking is that the farmers could only afford to buy seventy year old vehicles.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page seven.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page eight.

























Above: Rough page layouts for page nine and ten.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page nine.




















































Above: Finished pencils for page ten and a fully coloured and finished picture of panel two.

























Above: Rough page layouts for page eleven and twelve.

























Above: Thumbnail designs for the Panzer-Mek tanks. I base my designs loosely on Mike McMahon's tank designs seen in a small panel published in the original Cursed Earth story.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page eleven.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page twelve.  At the last moment I decide to change the Panzer-Mek design as seen in panel one. I feel that they look too similar to the robot tanks in Star Wars The Phantom Menace.




















Above: The new Panzer-Mek design.

























Above: Rough page layouts for pages thirteen and fourteen.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page fourteen.


















Above: The Mk 1 Landraider fully coloured.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page fourteen.

























Above: Rough page layouts for pages fifteen and sixteen.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page fifteen.

















Above: A section of page fifteen in full colour.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page sixteen.

























Above: Rough page layouts for pages seventeen and eighteen.

























Above: Thumbnail sketches for Mongrol and the bloody death of Judge Hicks.
I decided to have a bit of fun with Mongrol and gave him a slight body upgrade so that I could draw him in more Dynamic poses. It was also good practice for my next Zarjaz script written by Matt Sharp called the ABC Warriors the Last Battle.

























Above: Page Nineteen, Panel two. Due to its complex composition  I plotted out this panel on a separate piece of paper first before attempting to draw it on the actual page art.



Above: The full coloured and finished page nineteen panel 2.
















































Above: Page Nineteen finished pencils.
















































Above: Page twenty finished pencils.


















Above: Fully coloured panel four from page twenty.





















Above: Hammer-Stein from panel five page twenty.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page twenty one.



















Above: Close up of finished panel one, page twenty one.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page twenty two.



Above: Close up of panel 3 page twenty two.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page twenty three.
















































Above: Finished pencils for page twenty four.

Conclusions.
I had great fun drawing Judge Dredd Bad Crop. The entire project took over 400 hours to complete. Each page taking roughly 16 hours from pencils through to full colours to finish.  I work really hard every week in my spare time on my comic art. I practice to produce my best work quickly and with an overall consistency through out the pages.

If you enjoyed reading Judge Dredd Bad Crop maybe read my self published Shaman Kane Books 1 and 2 which can be brought from Comicsy here or by contacting me by email dbroughton@hotmail.co.uk

I look forward to seeing you all at the conventions in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment